Montana is known for its snow-capped mountains and vast wilderness, which are available all year round. The locals don’t head south though once the winter season approaches because the state transforms into a wonderland of adventure opportunities. From snowshoeing to ice fishing, Montana has something for everyone.
Here are 15 popular activities to do in Montana once the snow starts to fly:
1. Snowshoeing: Explore Montana's winter wonderland on a pair of snowshoes. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned pro, there are plenty of trails to choose from. Try Glacier National Park's Apgar Loop or the Rattlesnake National Recreation Area for a scenic trek.
2. Skiing: Montana has world-class skiing destinations such as Big Sky, Whitefish, and Red Lodge Mountain. Hit the slopes for a day of adrenaline-pumping fun, or book a longer trip to make the most of the snowy season. Best Places to Ski and Snowboard in Montana - 15 Ski Areas to Visit
3. Backcountry Skiing: For those looking for a more adventurous skiing experience, backcountry skiing is a great option. Explore untouched powder and enjoy the solitude of Montana's backcountry.
4. Snowboarding: Ride the slopes with a snowboard for a thrilling experience. Montana has several snowboarding destinations including Bridger Bowl and Showdown Ski Area.
5. Cross-country Skiing: Cross-country skiing is a great way to get some exercise and explore the great outdoors. Check out West Yellowstone for groomed trails and stunning scenery.
6. Dogsled: Take a ride on a dogsled for a truly unique experience. Book a tour with Yellowstone Dog Sled Adventures or Snowy Owl Sled Dog Tours.
7. Skijoring: Skijoring is a winter sport that involves being pulled on skis by a horse or dog. Try out this unique activity at Paws, Up, Lone Mountain Ranch or Mountain Sky Guest Ranch.
8. Fat Biking: Fat bikes are specially designed for winter riding with wider tires that provide traction in snow and ice. Head to Big Sky Resort for a guided tour or rent a fat bike from Bangtail Bike & Ski.
9. Forest Service Cabins/Tipis: Rent a cabin or tipi in Montana's beautiful national forests for a rustic winter getaway. Old Faithful Snow Lodge & Cabins in Yellowstone National Park is another great option for a winter vacation.
10. Christmas Lights/Festivals: Get into the holiday spirit with Montana's festive light displays and winter festivals. Check out ZooLights at ZooMontana or the Whitefish Winter Carnival for some holiday cheer.
11. Ice Climbing: Montana has some of the best ice-climbing destinations in the country. Test your skills at Hyalite Canyon or climb the frozen waterfalls of the Beartooth Mountains.
12. Sleigh Ride: Take a romantic sleigh ride through Montana's winter wonderland. Book a ride with Lone Mountain Ranch or Double Arrow Lodge.
13. Hot Springs: Soak in a natural hot spring and unwind after a day of winter activities. Try Chico Hot Springs or Bozeman Hot Springs for a relaxing experience. 21 Montana Hot Springs Resorts
14. Snowmobiling: Montana has miles of snowmobile trails to explore. Rent a snowmobile and hit the trails for an adrenaline-pumping adventure.
15. Ice Fishing: Try your luck at ice fishing on one of Montana's frozen lakes. Head to Canyon Ferry Lake or Fort Peck Reservoir for a chance to catch some fish under the ice.